22 November 2006

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA

Made a trip to the bottle store the other day (no, not in PA...PA has no idea what "variety" means), grabbed a sixer of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 2006 and as I was perusing the cooler, a 22oz bomber with "SIMCOE" on the lable caught my eye.

Simcoe of course being a fairly-new high-alpha hop varietal that's popular in double IPAs, pale ales, etc. Pretty tasty. This brew aparently uses Simcoe all the way through; bittering, flavoring, aroma, maybe dry-hopped as well.

Wow!! Damn tasty brew. I admit I was a little hesitant to buy a Weyerbacher beer...last year I got a sixer of their barleywine that was pretty young. Tasted like they just dumped the yeast and bottled the brew, no aging whatsoever. High fusel alcohols, etc. Terrible. I was relieved in a way.

I'm not going to rate this like a BJCP judge, since I ain't, but I will say that for a double IPA, this is surely a tasty, worthwhile brew. It scored in the 99th percentile on RateBeer.com, not suprisingly.

Hats off to the Weyerbacher brewers. Prost!

No comments: