15 July 2008

The Great American Lager

Since it's been over a month since my last blog entry (I had some back issues at work and the wife had her gall bladder out, so things have been pretty hectic to say the least), I figured it's time to get back to it. At the forefront of beer news, InBev's acquisition of Anheuser-Busch.



It wasn't long ago that Anheuser-Busch's marketing strategy to address the brewing corporate mergers of SABMiller and Molson-Coors was to drive a jingoistic baseball park foam index finger rap into the heads of Bud drinkers, as shown in the YouTube clip above. Of course, the irony is now while A-B may identify the brand as American, it certainly no longer is. Hopefully, this merger won't mean job losses for the guys and girls working at American A-B breweries.

I love my Country. But I'm not going to thumb my nose at imported beer because the label's not on the side of a NASCAR stock car. I'm not going to believe the drivel that what you drink is related to what political party you align yourself with. Taste is highly subjective. We're a young country, and our brewing heritage has strong irrefutable ties to the UK, Europe, and Asia; Anheuser-Busch, Adolf Coors, and SAB Miller are all proof of this. Maybe this merger will help a few to broaden the horizons of their palates and try something that's made with more than just 6-row barley, rice syrup, and a hop cone.

And if being American-made is unequivocally important to any given beer drinker, I'd like to point out that there are tons of American-made beers.

They're called "craft brewers", their beer is made here in the good ol' USA by proud Americans and they want their countrymen to drink quality, flavorful beer.

Cheers!

No comments: